Thursday, May 23, 2013

Hausfrau's New Hobby: Apartment Hunting

Yesterday evening we received an email from our landlord: he had put our apartment on sale.

This didn't come as a total surprise - he had told us about his plans a couple of months ago. And he has not yet terminated our lease and when he does, we will still have three months to move out.

But anyway, we need to start looking for a new place to live.

I have been following for a while now, as I have been dreaming of an apartment with garden for the kids to play in and/or with one extra bedroom for our guests. But as the US Army is centralizing it's European operations here, there are a lot of families moving to Wiesbaden. And thus it is almost impossible to find a decent apartment with decent price around here.

But now I really had to swing into action. This morning I have already sent contact requests to six different housing agencies and made the arrangements to see one apartment.

So, I'm sorry if I'm going to be a bit preoccupied in the near future. I'll try to keep you updated.

And if you are looking for an apartment to invest in, I know one in Wiesbaden with extremely nice tenants! ;)
View from Neroberg. You can see our current home in this photo ;)

Saimme eilisiltana sähköpostia vuokranantajaltamme: hän on laittanut asuntomme myyntiin.
Nykyistä sopimustamme ei vielä ole irtisanottu, mutta koska Wiesbadenin asuntomarkkinat ovat tällä hetkellä todella hankalat, täytyy meidän nyt ryhtyä todenteolla uuden asunnon metsästykseen. 


Annabelle said...

Oh I know ImmobilienScout way too well!!! Good luck

Anonymous said...


if you are holder of a standard open-ended residential lease contract there should be no possibility for your landlord to terminate it. It can only be terminated by the tenant (unless you do not pay your rent). Even a sale of your apartment will not terminate your lease contract, you will only have a new landlord but it will not affect your contract or your situation as a tenant. If your are unsure about your contract: ask a specialized lawyer or the local "Mieterverein".