Sunday, September 9, 2012

The First Week In the Krippe

So, the first week in the kindergarten is now over for Fräulein. As I have told before, it is normal here in Germany that the 'acclimatization' to daycare is very slow.

Here is the summary of Fräulein's first week:

Monday
A half an hour of playing at the Krippe playground with the other kids. I was present, but sitting on a bench further away. Fräulein enjoyed herself, but was a bit confused why mum was just sitting there and didn't go and play with her.

Tuesday
Two hours of taking part of their normal morning routines. Fräulein followed everything with interest, but wanted me to join in, too.

Wednesday
Much like Tuesday. The group leader asked, if it had been this difficult for Fräulein to be without me when we started by the Tagesmutter. I told her that whenever I was present, Fräulein wanted me, but when I wasn't there, she was happy to play with the other kids.

When the group was at the playground, I left Fräulein for ten minutes. For the first five minutes she was crying, but by the time I was back, she was playing with the other kids.

Thursday
Based on my discussion with the group leader the day before, I just dropped Fräulein to daycare and said bye bye. She was left crying. I was actually sitting in the room next door in case they needed me, but 1.5 hours passed before they told me, it was enough for one day. She had settled after I left, but all changes in the program, like going outside, had made her cry again. I think that is totally understandable, as she cannot remember the daily schedule at this point and she doesn't understand everything that is told to her, so she must get a bit confused. All in all, it had been quite OK.

Friday
On Friday morning I was talking to Fräulein about how we take the buggy to daycare, how she will leave her shoes and jacket to her own spot, which is marked with sun, and how she will see all the other kids and the teachers. And Fräulein added "bye bye mummy" and waved! So, she clearly knew what was going to happen and didn't feel at all stressed about it.

I dropped Fräulein to daycare for two hours and was able to spend the time in the city. She had again had some good and bad moments, but I think we are at a good point after this first week. Lets see how she feels after the weekend!

How to spend the two free hours in the city? 


*****
Fräuleinin ensimmäinen sopeutumisviikko päiväkodissa on nyt takana. Ensimmäisenä päivänä olimme mukana ulkoleikeissä puoli tuntia ja seuraavana parina päivänä osallistuimme ryhmän aamurutiineihin. Fräuleinin tuntuu olevan vaikea ymmärtää, miksi äiti on mukana, muttei osallistu leikkeihin. Torstaina jätinkin Fräuleinin puoleksitoista tunniksi itsekseen hoitoon. Hän oli välillä ollut itkuinen, mutta rauhoittunut kuitenkin aina välillä. Päivystin koko ajan viereisessä huoneessa mahdollisen katastrofin varalta. Perjantaina pääsin jo itse käymään kaupungilla. Pidetään peukkuja, että ensi viikolla menee vielä mukavammin!

No comments: